Skype is the first name that comes to mind when you think about video calling especially. Skype was first introduced by Microsoft in 2011 and since then it is being used by endless numbers of people and it is growing since then. Skype keeps on implementing changes and adding features in their app from time to time, simultaneously they keep removing other things accordingly. Skype gives us the freedom of sending text-based messages and conducting video calls and that too without any charges. If you are thinking Skype is the only option available with these features then that’s not true.
The best available top 5 Skype alternative: Competitors and websites similar to skype app are:
- Google Hangouts
Zoom is the best alternative to the Skype app. Zoom is the best tool for video conferences which can be used for group meetings, product demos, discussing projects or assignments, etc. Zoom has a lot of features similar to Skype app, like one can do the online meeting of up to 500 people, group webinars, business IM with file sharing, meeting recording, training, etc. Conducting a webinar through Zoom can handle up to 50 presenters and can add up to 10,000 people as attendees.
The pros and cons of using the Zoom are:-
- Specialization:- Zoom specializes in the solution for telehealth services.
- Easier to use:- Zoom is a very easy tool to use for anyone and a person of any age can use it easily.
- Cost:- Though the basic account with Zoom is free but for a Pro version the tool charges some amount.
Viber is a great alternative to Skype that offers free texting, voice calling and video calling as well. Viber is generally available on operating systems like Windows, iOS, Android, Linux, and Mac. Viber gives you the freedom to do texting, voice calling and video calling on any phone number in the entire world and one can use these features from a desktop too. One can take full advantage of using this app anywhere and anytime keeping it alongside other apps on their mobile phone.
The pros and cons of using the Viber app are:-
- End-to-end encryption:- One of the best qualities of Viber is that it offers end-to-end encryption that ensures your text and calls are protected, secured and remain private. One added feature is one can delete the read messages after reading to increase privacy.
- No cost:- It is free of cost for everyone using this app anywhere in the world.
- Not for conference calling:- From Viber one can do one to one communication only. If one wants to make a conference call from this app then it is not suitable.
- Require working cell phone number:- Viber requires a working cell phone number always whether you are using this app on your mobile phone or desktop as well.
The most important feature of WhatsApp is that it is available everywhere in the world. The benefit of WhatsApp is ubiquity, the fact that it is very common and available everywhere. It is free to use and you can find that it is there in everyone’s mobile phone. One can easily perform various features in it like texting, voice calling, and video calling.
The pros and cons of using WhatsApp are:-
- Very popular:- WhatsApp is very popular amongst everyone and every age group.
- Available on mobile phone and desktop:- WhatsApp is available on mobile phone and desktop too. It is available on Windows, iOS, Android, etc.
- End-to-end encryption:- WhatsApp provides end-to-end encryption, that provides privacy and security to your texts and calls too.
- Limited conference call:- If one wants to make a conference video call, the conference WhatsApp video call will be limited to a maximum of 4 users.
4. Google Hangouts
Google Hangouts is another popular alternative to Skype. Google hangouts also offer many features like instant messaging, group chats and video calling. It is very easy for anyone to use. Google hangouts have a free as well as the paid version, the quality of calls will differ in both the cases.
The pros and cons of using google hangouts:
- Clear video calls:- Google hangouts provide you with very clear, high definition video calls as compared to other apps.
- Notifications:- One cannot turn on notifications in google hangouts. If you are not online in this app you will miss the call and there will be no notifications for that missed call as well.
- Limited participants:- Though google hangouts are easy to use for everyone but google hangouts has a limit on the number of people who can join video calls but once, making a conference call for a big or large company won’t be possible on google hangouts and it can be annoying sometimes.
Talky is one of the most eligible alternatives for Skype. It has grown up a lot with the passing time and has become a big competitor in recent years for Skype. It provides you free texting, voice calling, and video calling. One can trust this app for all these features easily.
The pros and cons of using Talky are:
- Features:- Talky is little light on features and that’s the best thing of using an app and sometimes it is just what’s needed.
- Video calls:- It is one of the best apps for free video calls and it is worth checking out.
- Conference calls:- Talky can support up to 15 users in one go or a single video call. It is not only good for friends and family but workplaces as well.
We can think of the followings Skype alternatives as well. What else ?
To summarize 5 top Skype alternatives, its competitors and websites similar to skype, we have discussed them all. These are the best apps for texting, voice calls, and video calls. They are all valid skype replacements. One can pick the best app according to their need if they are looking for something in an alternative to skype and enjoy the features with the pros and cons of that app accordingly.